From 2005-2008 there existed two separate XML formats for encoding raw spectrometer output: mzData developed by the PSI and mzXML developed at the Seattle Proteome Center at the Institute for Systems Biology (ISB). It was recognized that the existence of two separate formats for essentially the same thing generated confusion and required extra programming effort. Therefore the PSI, with full participation by ISB, developed a new format called mzML by taking the best aspects of each of the precursor formats to form a single one. It is intended to replace the previous two formats, which are now deprecated, although still sometimes used by older software.
On 2008-06-01, mzML 1.0.0 was released. In early 2009, several implementation efforts identified a few minor shortcomings in mzML 1.0.0. Since no vendors had yet released software supporting mzML 1.0 yet, the working group decided to release an update in June 2009. It is expected that all software will support mzML 1.1 as the long-term-stable format instead of 1.0. Below is the available documentation for mzML 1.1.0 and related information. Please send feedback to firstname.lastname@example.org.
mzML 1.1.0 was released on 2009-06-01 and has been stable every since. There were initial plans to update a new 1.2 release in 2017 to support ion mobility mass spectromy (IM-MS). However, as of 2017-11-03, it appears that support for IM-MS can be achieved without a schema change, with just some additional terms. Please contact email@example.com for more information.
mzML Release Schedule
- 2008-06-01 mzML 1.0.0 released
- 2009-06-01 mzML 1.1.0 released
- 2010-06-01 mzML index wrapper schema updated to 1.1.1
- 2017-11 Minor updates to CV still occur, but no new schema changes are planned at this time
mzML 1.1.0 Finished Specification
The information and documents in this subsection are related to mzML 1.1.0, revised after going through the PSI document process on May 19, 2009. Everyone is encouraged to implement mzML 1.1.0. It is hoped that mzML 1.1.0 will remain stable for a long time.
NOTE: On 2010-06-01, the mzML index schema was updated from 1.1.0 to 1.1.1. There was no functional change, but rather the addition of an enumeration constraint to an attribute to prevent creative, unintended values. This could cause some files that previously validated to no longer validate. However, any such files should never have successfully validated in the first place.
XML schema definition files:
- mzML1.1.0.xsd (main schema)
- mzML1.1.1_idx.xsd (separate and optional index)
- Latest mapping file, which defines where certain controlled vocabulary terms may be used in a document.
- Latest version of the controlled vocabulary (CV) in OBO 1.2 format. (OBO-Edit)
- Full Specification Document: mzML1.1.0_specificationDocument.doc
- HTML schema documentation for mzML 1.1.0
- HTML schema documentation for mzML 1.1.0 index wrapper schema
Validation of mzML files
Although at one time there were on-line mzML validators, these have fallen into disrepair and are no longer functional.
You can download and run a local validator.
- The OpenMS validator can be installed locally by downloading and installing OpenMS.
- The Java-based validator can be downloaded from GitHub
Sample instance documents for all relevant formats:
All documents are meant to contain equivalent information in the various formats.
Sample files generated by the ProteoWizard:
- small.RAW (a small Thermo RAW file with LTQ-FT data)
- small.pwiz.1.1.mzML (converted from small.RAW by msconvert)
- small_miape.pwiz.1.1.mzML (converted by msconvert, with example MIAPE fields added programatically)
- small_zlib.pwiz.1.1.mzML (converted by msconvert, with zlib compression and 32-bit precision)
Other sample files:
- PDA example file (createdby Steffen Neumann)
- Sample files generated by the Proteios Software Environment
Other relevant websites:
- HUPO-PSI GitHub mzML
- General PSI guidelines for creating controlled vocabularies
Current and future support for mzML:
|ProteoWizard||USC||Parag Mallick||Full mzML support today|
|TPP||ISB||Eric Deutsch||Full mzML support today (including embedded X!Tandem)|
|Insilicos Viewer||Insilicos||Erik Nilsson||Full mzML support today|
|X!Tandem||GPM||Ron Beavis||Full mzML support today|
|Myrimatch||Vanderbilt||Matt Chambers||Full mzML support today|
|InSilicoSpectro||SIB||Alex Masselot||Full mzML support today|
|Proteios SE||Univ Lund||Fredrik Levander||Full mzML support today|
|NCBI C++ toolkit||NCBI||Douglas Slotta||available in next release|
|OpenMS/TOPP||Univ Tübingen||Marc Sturm||Full mzML support today|
|Phenyx||GeneBio||Pierre-Alain Binz||Full mzML support today|
|Mascot||Matrix Science||David Creasy||Full mzML support today|
|Mascot Distiller||Matrix Science||David Creasy||Full mzML support today|
|jmzML||Ghent/ EMBL-EBI||Lennart Martens||Full mzML support today|
|Conversion tool in Proteomics Toolbox||Thermo Scientific||Jim Shofstahl||beta testing|
|ReAdW (.RAW converter)||ISB||Eric Deutsch||Replaced by ProteoWizard msconvert|
|mzWiff (.wiff converter)||ISB||Eric Deutsch||Replaced by ProteoWizard msconvert|
|MassWolf (.raw/ converter)||ISB||Eric Deutsch||Replaced by ProteoWizard msconvert|
|Trapper (Agilent data converter)||ISB||Eric Deutsch||Replaced by ProteoWizard msconvert|
|mzML_Exporter||ABI||Sean Seymour||beta testing|
|PEAKS||Bioinformatics Solutions Inc||Kevin Zhang||Beta Testing|
|PRIDE database||EMBL-EBI||Juan A. Vizcaino||ongoing|
|PRIDE Inspector||EMBL-EBI||Juan A. Vizcaino||Full mzML support today|
|MIAPE MS Extractor||ProteoRed||Salvador Martinez-Bartolome||Full mzML support today|
|mzR||Bioconductor||Bernd Fischer, Steffen Neumann, Laurent Gatto||Full mzML support today|
|pymzML||Univ Münster||Christian Fufezan||Full mzML support today|
|Crux||University of Washington||W. Noble||Full mzML support|
Released mzML 1.0.0 Specification
The information and documents below related to mzML 1.0.0, which is now obsolete. Do not use it.
Current xml schema definition files (.xsd):
- mzML1.0.0.xsd (main schema)
- mzML1.0.0_idx.xsd (separate and optional index)
- Full Specification Document: mzML1.0.0_specificationDocument.doc
- HTML schema documentation for mzML 1.0.0
- HTML schema documentation for mzML 1.0.0 index wrapper schema
- ASMS June 2008 Poster (3MB PDF)